Monday, August 6, 2012

Commentary Response


    I agree with Kyle that jumping to a swift conclusion to take away weapons is a fine line for citizens. Indeed gun laws need to change. But to what? Complete government control? This will only drive people to illegal means to obtain weapons. This is the major issue now, guns are purchased illegally more than legally as it is. We most certainly do not want to trample our 2nd amendment yet how do we as concerned citizens draw the line between those who are responsible and those who should be barred from ever owning a gun? I personally speaking believe that some sort of psychological test should be conducted as well as longer waiting periods between application and purchase. Hopefully by setting more barriers and regulations, this will create discouragement for those with less than favorable means. I personally have owned guns that took less than 30 minutes to obtain.  That bothers me that all that is looked at is my criminal record. Not how many I have purchased, the frequency of my purchases nor my reasons for this. Someone with a spotless record can easily pull a trigger and that’s all it takes for tragedy to happen. How often are these mass shooters repeat offenders, fewer than many think. It only takes one calculated massacre and officials are scratching their head as to how this could have been prevented. The most recent shooting in Wisconsin, as well as Colorado are just sad reminders that this country clearly cannot handle certain freedoms. I would gladly go through a stricter approval process knowing that my gun(s) will be used for protection not to cause unnecessary harm. There are stricter regulations on government assistance than gun laws. It’s easier to buy a pistol than to receive food stamps. I cannot be the only one who sees this.
Link to Kyle Grier's Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment